Thursday, October 14, 2010

Art /Fear

As artists most of us are scared to death sometime! If not of  the public's criticism and lack of acceptance, then we of our own creative talent! David Bayles and Ted Orland's book, Art and Fear eloquently discusses that very concept! Reading that book for the very first time, I couldn't believe that someone actually wrote a book about how I feel! How can two strangers "get" me? Of course it dawned on me that every artist must fear the same thing. First, we are afraid that we are not talented enough! At least , I am afraid that I am just masquerading as an artist! When someone buys my painting, I actually feel bad for them! I know it weird, but I am embarrassed that they are buying something from someone untalented like myself! When people acclaims my art, I try to down play it for the same reason! It's not modesty but fear! The writers of the book goes on to say that it is a really a common fear among artists! To get over that fear, what  an artist really needs to do is to work their behinds off. At the end,  quantity leads to quality and hard work tops talent.We really never hear again about those child prodigies who painted like Monet at three Mozart might had talent but he worked hard at his craft. Tolstoy wrote and rewrote War and peace for years before he finally was satisfied with the book. As of our fear regarding the public, you have to be true to your vision. Just because someone else's art sells doesn't mean we have to  try to paint like them!We might not make as much money but we did not become artists to be rich but to pursue a creative life!In the long run, it will serve me  better if I pursued my  own brand of art rather than what I  know is popular. Maybe I will not sell as much but when I go to bed at night, I will know I have put on a good days work at  my craft and I have followed my vision! Well, enough babbling for today but I really want to suggest this book and if you are anything like me, you will find solace that we are all the same in our fear!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a book that I need to pick up and read sometime.

    I wrestle with the same fears; wondering if I'm good enough, comparing myself to others and I find that it's a pretty useless exercise. But I think you're right when it comes to just work, work, work.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the only thing that we can actually control....Everything else is pretty much up in the air!

    ReplyDelete