Monday, October 4, 2010

Autumn Leaves

We all have our favorite season... Fall is mine. The crisp blue sky and the flaming oranges and reds make my heart soar in a way that no other season can! So when my gallery wanted to put on a show on Autumn, I was excited. But I didn't really want to do a landscape, which would probably capture the nature's flaming beauty the best. But I wanted more; I wanted to bring that flame and beauty physically  in my painting. I wanted to capture the essence of that moment when a leaf falls to the ground with a swish.... I read this poem by Charles Dickens, which is a sadder interpretation of Autumn than mine. But beautiful in its mournful fashion! I have included this poem in my painting but my colors add a note of cheer even when I know that the melancholy of the poem lies underneath my paint....

Autumn leaves, autumn leaves, lie strewn around he here;
Autumn leaves, autumn leaves, how sad, how cold, how drear!
How like the hopes of childhood's day,
Thick clust'ring on the bough!
How like those hopes in their decay--
How faded are they now!
Autumn leaves, autumn leaves, lie strewn around me here;
Autumn leaves, autumn leaves, how sad, how cold, how drear!


Wither'd leaves, wither'd leaves, that fly before the gale:
Withered leaves, withered leaves, ye tell a mournful tale,
Of love once true, and friends once kind,
And happy moments fled:
Dispersed by every breath of wind,
Forgotten, changed, or dead!
Autumn leaves, autumn leaves, lie strewn around me here!
Autumn leaves, autumn leaves, how sad, how cold, how drear!

Autumn Leaves, Mixed Media, 12"x12"

Here's my painting and interpretation of Autumn! I have included maple leaves and twigs from my garden, to bring a slice of my everyday  life to my creative one.......

4 comments: