Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Drawing

Lets read the quotes before we go on further with my post::

Never become an artist if you can't learn to draw. (Sergei Bongart)
 Do not fail, as you go on, to draw something every day, for no matter how little it is, it will be well worth while, and it will do you a world of good. (Cennino Cennini)
 Drawing is the backbone. It is no good having a lovely sense of light and color if there isn't the firm foundation underneath. (Alexander Creswell)
 You just cannot cheat when you draw. (Sandy Davison)
Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)

I have not been listening to these great advices... ..I am sorry to say that I have been neglecting this side of art making! My only drawings have been little sketches with lines and scribbles to figure out a composition. Actually, I  have always loved to draw and did pretty good at art school when it came to drawing (well, lets not count the freshman year)! But somehow drawing took a back burner in the scheme of things. I got seduced by color and ultimately neglected something that is a backbone to an artist's skills! Like Gorky says, someone who can't draw is just not a good painter! And by ignoring drawing I think I have been neglecting the very foundation of my artistic integrity! So for the next month I am going to devote at least 50% of my efforts to drawing! I have decided to do at least four full blown academic cast drawings for this period.... I just think unless I do this I can't move to the next stage of my development! How many times have we seen a painting killed by poor drawing skill?! We actually smirk at people like that! And I am determined to avoid that fate! Seriously!So here's my first effort. Don't be too harsh! This is the first time that I have finished a drawing after almost three years!

No comments:

Post a Comment